Volunteering as a family is something special you can all do together to help teach your kids about thinking larger than themselves.
Whether there are two of you or you have a big extended family, if you combine efforts to help others - that's volunteering!
Besides the wonderful benefits to your community, there are many benefits for your family. Research suggests that engaging parents and their children in service together has important positive outcomes for everyone involved.
There are many benefits to volunteering as a family, but here are our top 5:
- Kids and teens cultivate positive values, such as caring and empathy, and develop a commitment to service both now and in the future.
- By participating in volunteer activities, kids and teens feel appreciated and respected, as well as learn new skills in the process.
- Parents get to spend quality time with their children in a positive environment, while serving as role models, leading by example and passing on important values.
- Families increase their sense of cohesion, well-being, and connections to the broader community.
- The combination of ages and generations within a family means they have everything needed to make meaningful change in the community: energy, creativity, passion, knowledge and experience, as well as different perspectives and skills.